Changhoon Oh is an Assistant Professor in the Graduate School of Information at Yonsei University. He also worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University, collaborating with Professor Jodi Forlizzi and Professor John Zimmerman. He earned his Ph.D. from Seoul National University under the guidance of Professor Bongwon Suh.
His research on Human–Computer Interaction (HCI) and User Experience (UX) focuses on human–AI interactions, intersecting UX/HCI perspective in AI/ML expanded to meaningful and synergistic results in both communities. Specifically, his interests lie in identifying design factors for AI-infused user interfaces with respect to human perception on AI, interpretable and explainable AI (XAI), human-AI collaboration, and, furthermore, in a broader sense, UX design with AI/ML and responsible AI (RAI). In terms of methodologies, he has extensive experience in applying both qualitative and quantitative methods. He has presented and published various papers at highly prestigious conferences in the HCI field, including as ACM CHI, UIST, and DIS. His work has been recognized with multiple awards, such as the CHI 2018 Best Paper Honorable Mention Award and the DIS 2020 Best Paper Honorable Mention Award.
- May 07 2020: Excited to share that our paper “Understanding How People Reason about Aesthetic Evaluations of Artificial Intelligence (principal author)” has won an honorable mention awards at DIS 2020.
- Apr 09 2020: “Understanding How People Reason about Aesthetic Evaluations of Artificial Intelligence (principal author)” has been conditionally accepted to DIS 2020.
- Dec 13 2019: Two papers “Understanding User Perception of Automated News Generation System (principal author)” and “Bot in the Bunch: Facilitating Group Chat Discussion by Improving Efficiency and Participation with a Chatbot” have been conditionally accepted to CHI 2020.
- Aug 06 2019: Joined the Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University as a postdoctoral researcher, working with Professor Jodi Forlizzi and Professor John Zimmerman.
- Apr 01 2019: “Designing a Chatbot for a Brief Motivational Interview on Stress Management: Qualitative Case Study” has been published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research (2019).
- Feb 26 2019: I have graduated from Seoul National University with my PhD degree. My thesis “Understanding How People Interact with Algorithm-based Systems Using Artificial Intelligence” has received a Best Dissertation Award.
- Feb 10 2019: “TurtleTalk: An Educational Programming Game for Children with Voice User Interface” and “Tell Me More: Understanding User Interaction of Smart News Powered by Conversational Search” have been accepted to CHI 2019 Late-Breaking Work.
- Jun 29 2018: “Touch+Finger: Extending Touch-Based User Interface Capabilities with “Idle” Finger Gestures in the Air” has been conditionally accepted to UIST 2018.
- Apr 19 2018: Selected for Google Travel and Conference Grants.
- Mar 27 2018: Joined V.DO, a video artificial intelligence start-up, as an AI Researcher.
- Feb 16 2018: “PairRing: A Ring-Shaped Rotatable Smartwatch Controller”has been accepted to CHI 2018 Late-Breaking Work.
- Feb 9 2018: “I Lead, You Help But Only with Enough Details: Understanding the User Experience of Co-Creation with Artificial Intelligence (principal author)” has been awarded an Honourable Mention for CHI 2018 (top 5%).
- Nov 17 2017: “I Lead, You Help But Only with Enough Details: Understanding the User Experience of Co-Creation with Artificial Intelligence (principal author)” has been conditionally accepted to CHI 2018.
- Nov 19 2017: “Us vs. Them: Understanding Artificial Intelligence Technophobia over the Google DeepMind Challenge Match (principal author)” has been conditionally accepted to CHI 2017.
Jul 06-11 2020: DIS 2020, Eindhoven, Netherlands for paper presentation. Apr 25 – 30 2020: CHI 2020, Honolulu, Hawaii, US for paper presentation.
- May 04 – 09 2019: CHI 2019, Glasgow, UK.
- Apr 21 – 26 2018: Attended CHI 2018, Montréal, Canada for paper presentation.
- Mar 27 2018: Had an invited talk at Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI), Daejon, South Korea.
- Jan 31 – Feb 2 2018: Attended HCI Korea 2018, Jeongson, South Korea.
- May 06 – 11 2017: Attended CHI 2017, Denver, Colorado, US, for paper presentation.